Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
This sweet potato soup is livened up with mixed bell peppers, plenty of herbs and a generous squeeze of lemon juice to brighten up the bowl!
- 1 tbl coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 bell peppers, diced (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups leftover mashed or baked sweet potato OR 1 can organic sweet potato puree
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbl fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Saute the onion and peppers until slightly softened.
- Either puree the leftover sweet potato with 2 cups of stock and add to the pan with the remaining 2 cups of stock OR add the sweet potato puree and the stock to the pan.
- Add the cumin and turn up the heat so that the soup comes to a simmer.
- Simmer until the peppers are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, fresh thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is, or blend until smooth – however you prefer!